Chemicals and Nutrients for Your Brain
Prescription drugs are the usual ways adults deal with anxiety disorders. However, oftentimes, anti-anxiety medicines only deal with the symptoms and not the root causes. Anti-anxiety medication often provoke dislike from people who have used them for some time. This is mainly because of their side effects, and the notion that they don’t really cure the disease.
There are, however, alternatives to drugs in dealing with anxiety disorders. Getting relief from anxiety is often a matter of eating the proper foods.
1) If you are feeling too stressed, try drinking some Chamomile tea. Chamomile tea can calm and relax your mind, and soothe your thoughts. If you find it hard to sleep at night, Chamomile can help you sleep. Your mental state will be eased by the natural sedative properties of this tea.
2) Turkey contains a substance called tryptophan that can trick your mind in feeling more calm and relaxed. A chemical responsible for maintaining balance in the brain, serotonin, comes from tryptophan. In food, tryptophan is known to help relieve stress.
3) Another food that can enhance your mental and psychological well-being is avocado. They contain potassium, a chemical substance that lowers blood pressure. Eating avocado lessens the possibility of anxiety attacks by keeping your heart rate at an even rate.
4) Consuming a variety of leafy green vegetables and hemp oil can contribute to optimal brain health. Stress and anxiety can be brought to a manageable level with these foods. A crucial player in brain-adrenal axis balance is magnesium, which is found in green leafy vegetables.
5) A natural way to keep you calm is by eating dark chocolate. Dark chocolate can induce calmness and relieve stress more than milk chocolate and white chocolate, because the latter has much more added sugar, milk, and saturated fats which are unhealthy.
6) Turmeric aids in reducing the incidence of anxiety and stress. Turmeric aids in digestion, healing, reducing inflammation of joints, and maintaining a balanced blood sugar level.
7) One of the substances that reduce the incidence of anxiety is folic acid. It is a chemical that helps maintain your brain’s healthy function, and asparagus is a good source of it. What often causes anxiety and stress is a lowering of folic acid in the body.
8) A good source of vitamin B is liver, as well as other organ meats. Serotonin production is done by methylation which requires sufficient amount of vitamin B in the body.
9) Eat more oysters to increase your intake of zinc, a chemical necessary for your brain to function normally. If your zinc level drops below normal, this can cause anxiety.
10) Improving the health of your stomach will help improve the condition of your brain to deal with anxiety and stress. Kefir is a good source of probiotics that keep your gut in good shape.